Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Taking that Step: Discouragement.

2 Corinthians 4:7-12;16-18
7 But we have this treasure in jars of clay to show that this all-surpassing power is from God and not from us. 8 We are hard pressed on every side, but not crushed; perplexed, but not in despair; 9 persecuted, but not abandoned; struck down, but not destroyed. 10 We always carry around in our body the death of Jesus, so that the life of Jesus may also be revealed in our body. 11 For we who are alive are always being given over to death for Jesus' sake, so that his life may be revealed in our mortal body. 12 So then, death is at work in us, but life is at work in you. 16 Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day. 17 For our light and momentary troubles are achieving for us an eternal glory that far outweighs them all. 18 So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen. For what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal.


Have you ever had one of those days that you wish you could re-do? That's how I felt yesterday. As I'm writing this late Tuesday, I have felt a great deal of relief wash over me in the last hour or so as I've looked at this passage over and over again.

You see, my not so good day began after my 8:00 class. When I left, I realized that I didn't have my wallet. I said, "Well I know I didn't take it out during math class so it must be back in my dorm. Plus, I don't even remember putting it in my pocket before I left." Upon returning, it wasn't there. I hurried back to the lecture hall, but another class was just beginning. I quickly glanced in the general area of my seat, but I saw nothing. Then, I reported it missing to lost and found, only to no avail. For the rest of the day, there were a couple of other things that tried to get me discouraged as well. At the very least, I learned some important lessons. After all, "We are hard pressed on every side, but not crushed; perplexed, but not in despair; persecuted, but not abandoned; struck down, but not destroyed."

When we're disappointed, we tend to turn away from God and his beautiful creation. This happens to even the hardiest of souls. Notice it mentions a "jar of clay." The significance of that is that a jar of clay is extremely fragile. Our bodies, shattered dreams, and moments of despair are all characteristics of our "jar of clay." Within that fragile jar of clay, is a priceless treasure that has unimaginable worth! That treasure is God living within us providing us with love and life. Alone, without God, our jar is empty. However, with God, our jar is filled with God, we receive the very best that God wants for us.

God doesn't want you to be down. Often I find that he steps in and takes over the situation. It is then when we don't even realize how naturally simplistic God can be. It's time to take that step against discouragement and depression: "For our light and momentary troubles are achieving for us an eternal glory that far outweighs them all. So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen. For what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal." Take that step to fight discouragement; don't just overcome it. Otherwise, we will just dig a deeper hole. Follow the Spirit, and he will you steer you away from the down moments.

Go forth and look at the filled jar each day. You will be energized with new life. Sure, we're going to have cracks in our pot. Based on how we handle the cracks in the road, is how it will filter into the world for all to see!

No comments: