Thursday, July 15, 2010

Complete Listening.

1 Samuel 3:10
10 The LORD came and stood there, calling as at the other times, "Samuel! Samuel!"
Then Samuel said, "Speak, for your servant is listening."


I believe that far too many people have the notion that if you listen to God for one specific thing, then you're an avid listener of God. That's completely wrong! Just by thinking that, is a sign of disrespect toward God. As a child of God, the ideal thing to do is to listen intently and totally understand him as much as possible. What if God decided that he wasn't going to speak to us because of the inordinate amount of disrespect that we give him? Would we even notice the difference?

The idea of anyone's relationship with Christ should be to get more intimate with him. I know I do my best at this so that way I can easily decipher what God is trying to say to me and comprehend that God certainly hears me. I've talked about how he speaks to us in various forms including through nature, other people, and even the Holy Spirit himself.

The primary reason we don't hear God so clearly is because we don't focus on the appropriate items at the proper time. We delight in ourselves rather than the Lord. It's time to align your heart and mind so that as you grow with Christ you can say as Samuel did: "Speak, for your servant hears." Don't become discouraged though. We all have to start somewhere. Accept the fact that you won't hear God often unless you're devoted to listening to him. Trying tapping into his words today by finding a quiet place to spend with the Lord.

No comments: