Monday, July 5, 2010

Love Thy Neighbor.

Matthew 22:36-40
36 "Teacher, which is the greatest commandment in the Law?" 37 Jesus replied: " 'Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.'38 This is the first and greatest commandment. 39 And the second is like it: 'Love your neighbor as yourself. 40 All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments."

I hope everyone had a safe and enjoyable fourth of July!

I know I talked about this in late 2008, but I've realized how important it is now that I'm off on my own in college. I've also been reminded at how welcoming it feels when others love you.

I started attending church during my first weekend at college last week at Wesley Foundation. I found it immediately to be such a welcoming place. You could tell everyone was natural in their actions and they weren't just doing it out of righteousness. It was heartfelt! Not only did the members of Wesley get to know me as much as they could in a few minutes when I would be in a conversation with one of them, but they invited me out to lunch. Imagine this, going to lunch no more than an hour and a half after first stepping foot into the chapel with a bunch of "strangers." Even though strangers and neighbors are complete opposites, that shouldn't deter you from befriending someone.

I took a long walk around Tallahassee this weekend with my friend Mike to go to the mall and saw a really neat billboard..."You know that whole love thy neighbor thing...Yeah, I meant it" ~God.

Even though it's such a cliche phrase, it is highly important to live by and become accustomed to. By doing this, we realize that everyone else is a part of God's creation. This is such a significant part of the Christian witness. I challenge you to go now and love thy neighbor.

No comments: