Saturday, July 31, 2010

False Promises: Christians Won't Suffer.

Job 36:28-30
26 Yet when I hoped for good, evil came;
when I looked for light, then came darkness
27 The churning inside me never stops;
days of suffering confront me.
28 I go about blackened, but not by the sun;
I stand up in the assembly and cry for help.

I know so many people believe that just because you're a Christian, you don't suffer. That is so not true! Although I'm not exactly sure how you would describe Job other than a righteous man, he certainly was a grieving person. He went through a multitude of challenges: he lost his family, wealth, and he had poor health.

I don't think that there is one single reason why people suffer. While suffering can come from sin or the devil, it doesn't have to originate from there. God uses our suffering for the better many times.

Have you ever felt like you were in a fog because of everything that was happening? It doesn't make it any easier when you have the idea that Christians don't suffer either. In fact, to some, it comes as a surprise. The important thing to remember is, even though it may sound unfair, it isn't; we learn countless lessons because of the trials we are faced with. God wants us to turn to him. If nothing was wrong, we would have all the more reason not to go to God. We do this enough as it is.

Be careful what you think God has promised. You may have heard it from someone, but when all else fails go to the Bible for proof. Next week, I'll be talking about what God does promise: suffering (yes, I'm going to elaborate more about this Monday), necessities, sufficient grace, everlasting love, victory over death, and eternal life.

Happy end of the week and end of the month!

No comments: