Tuesday, January 5, 2010

The Hideout.

Psalm 62:6-8
6 He alone is my rock and my salvation;
he is my fortress, I will not be shaken.
7 My salvation and my honor depend on God;
he is my mighty rock, my refuge.
8 Trust in him at all times, O people;
pour out your hearts to him,
for God is our refuge.


We all have our favorite places to go when we're fearful or looking for refuge and safe shelter. What's yours? Is it your room? your church? Do you have a lucky object?

Back in King David's time, an all too common hideout was the "rock" in the desert. This was the stronghold. David realized that his safety was a direct result of God's grace - the truest rock, fortress and stronghold ever.

Sometimes our places of refuge will let us down. So many places and items are temporary in this world and we shouldn't take them for granted.

Meanwhile, there's nothing that we can appreciate more however than God's safe refuge. He can read and understand us better than anybody. He reaches out his arm to help us when we're in need. He has made a promise and he holds us safe in his arms.

Those last words lead me to the song "Safe" by Phil Wickham. It's amazing and you should spend a few minutes and listen to it. It'll definitely give you a leap of encouragement on this Tuesday.



P.S. If you have trouble with the video stopping and starting, keep the video paused, and let it "buffer" (load) as it's called for a while. You will see the red bar along the bottom advance (speed depends on your Internet connection). Wait until that bar gets pretty far along (I'd say more than halfway) before you play the video and it shouldn't pause.

No comments: