Monday, February 8, 2010

Wading Through Sin.

Psalm 40:11-12
11 Do not withhold your mercy from me, O LORD;
may your love and your truth always protect me.
12 For troubles without number surround me;
my sins have overtaken me, and I cannot see.
They are more than the hairs of my head,
and my heart fails within me.


As we start a new week, still discussing Psalm 40, it almost seems like there's been a shift in David's tone. He went from praising God to needing God's help because of the big sinner he is. Quite frankly, he's not the only one who's a sinner. We all are.

It happens though. Our mindset can change very quickly. As we look into the goodness of God, it is easy to notice how kind, generous, and loving he is. However, when we look at ourselves in the mirror, it's hard to say the same all the time. We think God has all this goodness but then where's mine today?

Notice how David can't see past his own sinning. Clearly, David is aware of his poor choices. Therefore, he begs to the unfailing God of all for forgiveness and mercy to let him see past his sins.

As you grow closer to God, expect to become more aware of your (sinful) choices. Sometimes the devil uses them to pull us away. Nonetheless, thank God for sending Christ to have an awful death just so we could have a place on his cross!

May the differences between God's goodness and your goodness give you more understanding and a greater desire to be more him.

Have a great week!

No comments: