Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Think in Terms of Heaven.

Colossians 3:2
2 Set your minds on things above, not on earthly things.


I know I've used this verse before (see September 20, 2008) but, this is such a simple one that it can easily be memorized. In fact, I remember the kids at Vacation Bible School had this verse under their belt. While it is simple, it is so powerful. Plus, it fits in with what I talked about yesterday and a different point comes across than the one I made a year and a half ago.

You know when you're on an active pursuit for something, you search left and right? It may be your cell phone or the TV remote. I know for me, (with the help of my parents) it's the quest for raspberry tea. It sounds so trivial, but that's me. More than five years ago, I got hooked on Lipton Raspberry Tea in a can. It soon was discontinued, although the lemon tea is still to this day being made. Then, I found Nestea, a Coca-Cola product. That was discontinued and I had to start all over. I did this a couple more times with a couple more products. Nonetheless, I went four years or so without any of this tea. In the last six months, there appeared to be a resurfacing of the Lipton Raspberry Teas in 24 oz bottles. It was touchy though as they were only found in certain gas stations. Now, whenever I go to the gas station, I wipe them out of their raspberry tea.

That's some diligence wouldn't you say? Well God wants us to act the same way about heaven. Raspberry tea was always on my mind, and God and heaven should definitely be on my mind. Do so in moderation, however.

So, where do we start thinking about heaven? We often wonder, "Is heaven going to be boring?" Am I just going to sit above the clouds? Will it be relaxing? The Bible does reveal hints about heaven.

Don't get carried away though. You have to continue life on earth, but think in terms of heaven. In other words, don't get caught up in the day to day hustle and bustle. Think as Christ would and show his love to others instead of tackling earthly actions.

Have a blessed, heavenly day!

No comments: