Saturday, March 14, 2009

Just the Right Time.

Proverbs 15:23
23 Everyone enjoys a fitting reply;
it is wonderful to say the right thing at the right time!


I saw a shooting star the other morning. It's only the second time I've ever seen one in my life. Think about the odds of seeing one. What's the factor that determines whether or not it will be visible for you to see at any momnet? Time. I noticed it when I was riding the bus on my way to school. I was looking out the window and if I looked just a split second later, I wouldn't have seen that shooting star.

If you're into comedy, you know that timing is of the essence in this case also. If you don't say a line at the right moment...too early or too late, it's just not very funny. If you say the punch line at the right moment, then it is quite hilarious!

This doesn't just apply to those two ideas mentioned above; it applies all the time...even in serious situations. The time in which you say something depends on how much of an impact it has. Oh, and don't say the wrong thing at the wrong time.

What can help you determine if you should give your friend a word of encouragement and when not to say anything? Wisdom can help with resolve this issue. It tells us when it's appropriate to say "It'll be okay" and when you just have to sit there and let the person that you're there in spirit and to support them.

Ask God to help provide you with such wisdom that you know when to say the funny or encouraging line.

“Wisdom is knowing what to do next, skill is knowing how to do it, and virtue is doing it.” ~David Starr Jordan

No comments: