Saturday, March 28, 2009

The Effects of Having No Mission.

Proverbs 29:18
18 When people do not accept divine guidance, they run wild.
But whoever obeys the law is joyful.


What do you think of when you hear these words? I'm reminded of reciting the words to a mission statement or something similar that encourages and sets a goal or theme. I know at my elementary school we had a mission that was said every morning. I still remember it to this day. It went something like this: "High expectations. Social responsibility and academic performance are key to our mission." At the time, honestly I don't think I knew what I was saying every single day. I just go so trained to say it, there was no meaning. Now I look back on it and it clearly shows there is was a mission -- to learn at school.

I think this proverb is saying is that when no one has a mission statement or goal geared toward there faith and God, then there is no fear of God and thus life becomes mediocre to say the least. Without such a vision, one isn't deemed an identity, and there isn't a direction, purpose, method, or boundary. Living in such an environment would be deadly. It's like having no traffic laws. It would make humans perish and "go wild" as it states above. We should have a vision of God "seated [high] on the throne" somewhere. We need to see God for who he is. We need to see him as a sacrificial God who gave up his son to die for YOU (he's kind and extreme)! We need to be on a mission to live as he would. The bottom line is that we need to have a correct vision of God in the first place in order to live.

Maybe make a mission statement that keeps you actively involved in the vision of God and not just saying the words or doing the actions as I suggested above. Say it, do it, mean it!

Here's the song "Praise Adonai," which I briefly referred to above.



P.S. If you have trouble with the video stopping and starting, keep the video paused, and let it "buffer" (load) as it's called for a while. You will see the red bar along the bottom advance (speed depends on your Internet connection). Wait until that bar gets pretty far along (I'd say more than halfway) before you play the video and it shouldn't pause.

No comments: