Friday, August 27, 2010

You Belong.

Romans 12:4-5
4 Just as each of us has one body with many members, and these members do not all have the same function, 5 so in Christ we who are many form one body, and each member belongs to all the others.

One of the most important things to realize as a Christian, and more importantly a follower of Jesus, is that you belong to God and God's family! You are special; if you have to say "I am somebody" to yourself several times then don't be afraid because it's the truth!

Because you belong to God and you are somebody, you belong to the church and you belong to the body of Christ as well. So many times I either hear people say "I'm a Christian...I go to church every Sunday" or "I'm a Christian, but I don't have to go to church. Those are two vast extremes, but are either of them true and relevant? I'll tell you what I've concluded.

For the first statement, I think that it is just what everyone else is saying and I don't like it. It sounds to me if you say that, then you're just going to church every week because it's right and not to gain anything from it. If anything, we all need to work on believing that we can experience God in new ways not only on Sundays but each day of the week.

As far as the second statement is concerned, I don't like that one either. Sure, you can practice your faith at home since it is about your relationship with God, but don't forget you have to go out there and serve others too. Additionally, I think being a member of a strong church body is important too; they are the ones you can lean on in time of difficulty. They are there as your second family. All in all, they are there so you can work together for God. Wouldn't you say that you have a very important job to do? You belong and you are needed!

No comments: