Tuesday, August 24, 2010

The Vine and Branches.

John 15:1-10
1" I am the true vine, and my Father is the gardener. 2 He cuts off every branch in me that bears no fruit, while every branch that does bear fruit he prunes so that it will be even more fruitful. 3 You are already clean because of the word I have spoken to you. 4 Remain in me, and I will remain in you. No branch can bear fruit by itself; it must remain in the vine. Neither can you bear fruit unless you remain in me.
5 "I am the vine; you are the branches. If a man remains in me and I in him, he will bear much fruit; apart from me you can do nothing. 6 If anyone does not remain in me, he is like a branch that is thrown away and withers; such branches are picked up, thrown into the fire and burned. 7 If you remain in me and my words remain in you, ask whatever you wish, and it will be given you. 8 This is to my Father's glory, that you bear much fruit, showing yourselves to be my disciples.
9 "As the Father has loved me, so have I loved you. Now remain in my love. 10 If you obey my commands, you will remain in my love, just as I have obeyed my Father's commands and remain in his love.

When we're on our journey to Jesus, we shouldn't do it for a pat on the back, a pep talk, a high five, or for help along the way because that means nothing. We have to depend on Jesus for help. We (the branches) need him (the vine) to grow. When we sin, it cuts off our branches and we drop to the ground and become further and further from him. We might not die in a day, but we will lie on the ground broken away from the supplier of nutrients, Jesus Christ. As branches, without Jesus, we will be closer to death without a doubt. Jesus tell us this so that we are cautious and know before it's too late.

Another significant meaning to this passage is that since Jesus is the vine (the main part of us) and we are the branches, he dwells within us and works through us. As one of his branches, we are expected to blossom with life adding more branches to the vine by proclaiming the good news to more people. Remember, Jesus died on the cross so that you are alive in him and full of life. Don't worry about growing slowly in your faith; you should expect that. When you watch a plant grow, it doesn't happen very quickly does it? Sometimes God's going to trim your hedges as you cross through difficulties. In the end, however, it's for your benefit and you will grow back even stronger.

Lord, help us have the strength to abide in you so that we can be reassured that we can obtain closeness with you throughout the voyage called life.

No comments: