Friday, May 21, 2010

Abba, Father.

Romans 8:15-16
15 For you did not receive a spirit that makes you a slave again to fear, but you received the Spirit of sonship. And by him we cry, "Abba, Father." 16 The Spirit himself testifies with our spirit that we are God's children.


This is Abba as it is referenced once out of three times in the New Testament. Abba means father and in context, this reading is talking about how the Holy Spirit of God is the one that in fact cries in us and validates God's existence.

Have you ever heard a baby cry for their "da-da?" Don't they usually learn how to say "daddy" first? I think of God when I hear that now because we have the privilege to be able to call him our "Abba, Father." In much of the same way, I find it a blessing when someone calls out to God as "Abba" in prayer.

Just like the early baby sounds, we can cry out to the Lord. We have the opportunity to cry out to him with a longing heart, great intimacy, and trustworthiness. We're vulnerable and God always hears our cry.

As today's Bible reading suggests: the Holy Spirit is one way in which we can grow in familiarity with God. We don't have to be fearful because we can always go to our Father with great love and tenderness. The Abba, Father, is always looking for ways to bless us.

Abba, Father, you are so glorious. Your power is ceaseless. Your forgiveness is much needed. Thank you for being fair and ever present in our hearts. Help me know that you are near, today.

P.S. So there's this song that I can't seem to find online but it popped into my head as I read today's scritpure...I remember hearing it on the radio in the past. It goes "Abba, Father..." then I think still it goes "...you're all I need into eternity." At least, I think that's the same song. Anyone know the name of that song?

No comments: