Thursday, May 14, 2009

Think Before You...Punch Back.

Leviticus 19:18
18 " 'Do not seek revenge or bear a grudge against one of your people, but love your neighbor as yourself. I am the LORD.


Imagine yourself in the following situation: Someone acts in a harmful manner toward you, emotionally and physically. Do you fire back with a vengeance too? What goes around comes around, right? Wrong, sorta!

I guess when you say that phrase the whole idea that whatever you do can come back to haunt you, is true. On the other hand, if you interpret that saying as meaning "I can cause the same pain back on the person who caused me pain," then you're a little delusional.

It is easier just to have the idea in our idea that after someone does something toward us, we can come back and do the same. This is very narrow-minded thinking on our part if we take upon this opportunity for revenge. Instead, we should look at the big picture. It's not going to help me in the long run if I inflict pain on someone else. I don't think I'm going to regret not acting in revenge toward someone 10 years from now, so refrain from revenge and grudges at all costs.

The bottom line is that it's a matter of forgiveness. Everyone messes up. If the conflict is dropped, chances are less and less conflicts will occur (especially with the same person). If you exhibit a weak tolerance level, then the person could come back for more and could torture you because they watch how you act each time.

No comments: