Saturday, September 27, 2008

See You at the Pole.

1 Samuel 3:10
10 And the Lord came and called as before, “Samuel! Samuel!”
And Samuel replied, “Speak, your servant is listening.”


What is See You at the Pole? I'll give you a little history about it...
A group of teenagers from Texas came together in early 1990 for a spiritual weekend. The students became broken before God and burdened for their friends. They went to a few different schools that night and prayed at the flagpoles.

On September 12, 1990, more than 45,000 teens met at flagpoles at school to pray in four states before school started. By the time the next year came around, news had spread. On September 11, 1991, at 7 A.M., one million teens gathered at flagpoles nationwide. They sang and prayed...prayed for the school, friends, teachers, and the government.

Since 1991, SYATP has only gotten bigger in popularity. Now more than three million students across the country participate in this event. Also, students in more than 20 countries take part.

Now SYATP takes place on the fourth Wednesday of September each year at 7 A.M. or just before school starts.

The last two years I don't remember much about this event at my school. In my freshman year, I attended and we just prayed silently. Last year, I missed it. This year, it took place on Wednesday, September 24, and it was truly amazing! (Maybe that's just because I'm more in tuned with God). There was a guitarist who played songs like Lord I Lift Your Name on High, Open the Eyes of My Heart Lord, and Here I Am to Worship. We sang and praised God. It was incredible even though it was a gloomy morning. Believe it or not, at my school we had about 40 people who gathered. Remember Jesus tells us, whenever two or more people gather in his name, he is present. Imagine his strong presence on this day.

We had some powerful prayers that were spoken too. Everybody had the chance to say what was on their heart and mind. Even though in public schools teachers aren't allowed to mention God or any religion in classrooms, I just thank God that the government gave us the first amendment - which includes freedom of religion in any public place. We should be so grateful for that.

As we sang and prayed I know people walked by looking confused. Who knows, maybe down the road it will affect them. Anyways, as a Christian, they give you that stare and I'm sure they talk to their friends about it. I believe that being a Christian is the best stereotype you can have. It's especially good when they call you a Christian not because of your claims but because of your words and especially your actions out of LOVE.

"Whenever His people gather and worship Him, God promises He will make His presence known in their midst. On the other hand, where God's people consistently neglect true spiritual worship, His manifest presence is rarely experienced." ~Ralph Mahoney

Here's a short video about See You at the Pole...

No comments: