Monday, September 1, 2008

Don't Swear to God.

Matthew 5:34-37
34 But I say, do not make any vows! Do not say, ‘By heaven!’ because heaven is God’s throne. 35 And do not say, ‘By the earth!’ because the earth is his footstool. And do not say, ‘By Jerusalem!’ for Jerusalem is the city of the great King. 36 Do not even say, ‘By my head!’ for you can’t turn one hair white or black. 37 Just say a simple, ‘Yes, I will,’ or ‘No, I won’t.’ Anything beyond this is from the evil one.


I know I do it all the time. I say..."I swear to God I didn't do it." It's either because someone doesn't believe what I told them or they were in such shock I felt the need to reassure things.

I realize that Jesus doesn't like it when we swear an oath. It's being harsh on God. Jesus points out that if you have to mention God in order to make people believe you, then you may not have a heart of integrity.

Instead we need to just say "Yes" and "No." The bottom line is that everyone should be able to believe you 100%...that you're speaking out of complete truth and honesty.

Answer this to yourself...Are you a person of integrity? Can you truly, back up your words? This is a perfect reason why you should think before you speak.

“It is easier to cope with a bad conscience than with a bad reputation.”
~Friedrich Nietzsche

P.S. Have a safe Labor Day!

No comments: