Monday, October 26, 2009

"One Nation, Under God."

1 Corinthians 12:26-27
26 If one part suffers, every part suffers with it; if one part is honored, every part rejoices with it.
27 Now you are the body of Christ, and each one of you is a part of it.


I had a mixture of emotions when I read a news article this weekend. It's about a home depot employee who got fired after wearing an American flag pin that has "One nation, under God, indivisible" written on it. He had been working there for 19 months and had been wearing the pin for over a year. Nobody had said anything to him about the pin except for a supervisor who said that she liked it. Then one day, about a month ago, he brought a Bible to work and that's when his manager confronted him about his pin, not his Bible, mind you. He refused to take his pin off after the manager kept telling him to take it off. He was suspended for six days and was then terminated before he could return.

The problem I have with this is not Home Depot or the manager because I know we all make mistakes and don't make the best choices. It couldn't have been too good of a choice if the employee received several awards - he must have been doing his a terrific job. I just don't understand the situation and how someone can be bumped off the job for their beliefs. Sure everyone has different beliefs, but I'm pretty sure everyone can have some tolerance. The pin was not even a bad reference, it was essentially just stating a portion of America's history.

Unless there's more to the story, he wasn't forcing his beliefs down anyone's throat. He was just expressing his opinion and no one has to believe and agree with it. Obviously it wasn't too offensive if none of the customers mentioned anything about the pin. Additionally, wearing his pin is a part of who he is. Tell me this: why was this situation not taken care of for so long?

I give the employee a lot of credit for standing up to his belief. We have that freedom in America, and there is no reason why his job should be jeopardized. This story is an example of putting God before anything else.

It seems like sometimes we look for excuses to get others in trouble. Why do we do that? Most likely we have trouble in our lives. Actually, I know we do. We approach others about their issues before we even look at ours. I'm not saying this exactly what happened, but it's a good reminder nonetheless.

I leave you with the question today: Why can't we just be "one nation, under God, indivisible...once and for all"?

Read the article: http://www.tcpalm.com/news/2009/oct/23/home-depot-worker-wears-under-god-button-more/

Tell me what you think about this...Send me an e-mail at heytbone92@gmail.com. I'd love to hear your opinion, even if you completely disagree with me!

No comments: