Thursday, June 11, 2009

You are Extremely Special.

Psalm 139:13-16
13 For you created my inmost being;
you knit me together in my mother's womb.
14 I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made;
your works are wonderful,
I know that full well.
15 My frame was not hidden from you
when I was made in the secret place.
When I was woven together in the depths of the earth,
16 your eyes saw my unformed body.
All the days ordained for me
were written in your book
before one of them came to be.


God wants us to realize that our physical body and appearance is beyond incredible. Our characteristics and attributes go a long way in revealing how unique we are. From head to toe, you are fearfully and wonderfully made. What exactly does that mean? I'll explain in the paragraphs below.

I was on a retreat a couple years ago and one of the speakers shouted, "I AM SOMEBODY. I AM SOMEBODY." He kept drilling it in our heads over and over. I want you to know this as well because YOU are very special.

We have the ability learn, reason, walk, run, sit, jump, and do other voluntary actions. Also, when you think of our DNA, all of our essential information for replication to occur is in the double helix located in the nucleus of the billions of cells in the human body.

Too often I think we see our so-called "flaws": big or small feet, too tall or too short, just to name a few. When we downgrade ourselves then we're usually blaming God. This is a terrible thing for us to do, and I might add, it is a sin.

To be fearfully and wonderfully made means that I don't look at my physical appearance, not even what I'm made of or who I am, but who made me - God! I'm made of flaws, so if I lived according to that idea I'd feel meaningless and mediocre. By having a relationship with God, that makes me worthwhile!

The bottom line is that we are God's special creatures. God knows us the best. God knew us by name far before we were specs on the microscope and in our mother's womb. That's exciting! He made us all different, yet perfect in his eyes. Don't think of yourself as an accident, because you're NOT! We are exactly as God made us, and thus we are "fearfully and wonderfully made."

If you are still struggling with this today, repeat this phrase today: "I AM SOMEBODY!"

“Know that although in the eternal scheme of things you are small, you are also unique and irreplaceable, as are all your fellow humans everywhere in the world.” ~Margaret Laurence

No comments: