Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Tying in Culture to your Witnessing

Exodus 20:3-5
3 "You shall have no other gods before me.
4 "You shall not make for yourself an idol in the form of anything in heaven above or on the earth beneath or in the waters below. 5 You shall not bow down to them or worship them; for I, the LORD your God, am a jealous God, punishing the children for the sin of the fathers to the third and fourth generation of those who hate me,


I went to a journalism conference recently and I acquired a wealth of information. I was able to practice by interviewing and helping, along with several others, put together a multimedia project. You see, I'm planning to go into broadcasting , so the more experience I have now, the better.
The reason I brought this up is because the media, in general, has a lot to do with influencing society. And although I'm not looking to play a role in the media that influences the world in a negative manner (not for me), it still will be all around me if I do go into the field.

Too often we glorify the things that we hold an interest toward. For me, that would include technology. In old testament times, craftsmen often created objects of worship and thus people worshiped false Gods, or Idols.

How do we fix this? We need to learn about our culture. Movies and television (and more) indicate who we really are, as people. (Remember on Monday how I mentioned whatever you believe in, your perspective and personality are altered to fit that). If we just understand the culture that surrounds us on a daily basis, we can keep that in mind as we tell others about God. This makes it easier to connect and relate to people in a context that an individual will personally understand.

P.S. If anything, just try to grasp the last two paragraphs. The other paragraphs are a bit sketchy and may not be clearly related to what the main point is.

:)

No comments: