Friday, June 12, 2009

Counting the Small, Insignificant Things.

Psalm 139:17-18
17 How precious to me are your thoughts, O God!
How vast is the sum of them!
18 Were I to count them,
they would outnumber the grains of sand.
When I awake,
I am still with you.


There's certain thought-provoking questions out there that might not be all that important like, "How many licks does it take to get to the center of a tootsie roll pop?" For some reason, I remember reading somewhere that someone predicted it to take 2,146 licks. That seems like a lot.

Now think about the number of grains of sand that can be found in a tablespoon. What about the number of grains in a bucket? I don't even think I could guess or even attempt to count. Tens of millions? There's no saying. Nonetheless, there's a heck of a lot of grains of sand in just one bucket!

The Bible tells us that the Lord's thoughts for us outnumber the grains of sand. He thinks so highly of you, that he sees beyond the "flaws" that you see. I believe God sees our flaws as smaller than a grain of sand. They aren't a relevant part of our composition, what makes us who we are, or the person we are in a relationship with Jesus Christ.

I'm sure many will be going to the beach sometime soon, especially since it's summer and especially those who are reading this from the warm regions of the planet. Think about all the grains of sand you are walking over. Imagine the infinite number of grains of sand under the sea and around the world even as the water washes over it.

Pray that God will wash your troubled heart away and flood your soul with the thoughts he is having of you in any given moment.

No comments: