Monday, February 16, 2009

Forget Self-Praising.

Proverbs 27:2
2 Let someone else praise you, not your own mouth—
a stranger, not your own lips.


If we follow what the world says, it can be costly. It is no different when you follow what the world says about self-praise. I'm generalizing here, but people like to bring attention to themselves by recognizing what they've done, etc. It can be for a number of reasons, it can be just the way they are or just so they can get the job of his or her choice. Plus, it's much easier to say what our strengths are as opposed to our weaknesses.

There's a band called "Not About Us." They are a Christian band who are building up their foundation. They even performed at my church. Their voices are beautifully harmonized. In fact, they will even be on the CBS Early Show on Wednesday Morning performing.

Have you ever noticed how a few words say so much? "Not About Us" is a great name because it's true...the women don't care about fame; they care about glorifying God in the process of performing.

When you shake someone's hand don't put the impression out there that you're so wonderful or you're the best or anything along those lines (I'm not saying to look down on yourself, though!). Let the words come from "not your lips," but someone else's. You will be more respected that way.

Will you have trouble not praising yourself? Have faith in God that he will promote you when he has desire. I know I write this blog daily, but I try to let people know that it's not me writing this...it's God. I give him credit, instead of making myself look good.

“Any effort that has self-glorification as its final endpoint is bound to end in disaster.” ~Robert M. Pirsig

No comments: