Saturday, March 6, 2010

Prayer Offers Relief.

Psalm 6
For the director of music. With stringed instruments. According to sheminith. A psalm of David.
1 LORD, do not rebuke me in your anger or discipline me in your wrath.
2 Have mercy on me, LORD, for I am faint; heal me, LORD, for my bones are in agony.
3 My soul is in deep anguish. How long, LORD, how long?
4 Turn, LORD, and deliver me; save me because of your unfailing love.
5 Among the dead no one proclaims your name. Who praises you from the grave?
6 I am worn out from my groaning. All night long I flood my bed with weeping and drench my couch with tears.
7 My eyes grow weak with sorrow; they fail because of all my foes.
8 Away from me, all you who do evil, for the LORD has heard my weeping.
9 The LORD has heard my cry for mercy; the LORD accepts my prayer.
10 All my enemies will be overwhelmed with shame and anguish; they will turn back and suddenly be put to shame.


The writer of this Psalm is having a tough time. At first, it sounds like he’s sick, for his “bones are in agony.” It also seems like he is dealing with a lot of emotional pain; his “soul is in anguish” and his eyes are “weak with sorrow.” He’s crying.

This Psalm is actually a prayer, asking God for relief from the sickness and sadness. By verse 8, you can see that the prayer is beginning to work. The writer knows that God has heard his weeping and has accepted his prayer. He feels God’s presence and comfort. He sees the light at the end of the tunnel. Best of all, he is not alone!

When you are faced with an emotionally painful situation, there’s nothing like prayer. There’s nothing as good as knowing that God is always there to listen; he will always understand. God does more than just listen. God is God. God acts. God sends comfort. God is by your side.

Whenever there's a need, it's natural for us to pray, so don't avoid praying just because of that! Realize that you have to go to God in need sometimes. Other times, however, circumstances are easier and you can praise him. Whenever you pray to God, don't worry he will comfort you and soothe you. God is your medication when you're feeling down in life.

An encouraging song for the day: "Me and Jesus" by Stellar Kart.



P.S. If you have trouble with the video stopping and starting, keep the video paused, and let it "buffer" (load) as it's called for a while. You will see the red bar along the bottom advance (speed depends on your Internet connection). Wait until that bar gets pretty far along (I'd say more than halfway) before you play the video and it shouldn't pause.

No comments: