Wednesday, December 10, 2008

What Makes You Tick?

Matthew 6:1-2
Watch out! Don’t do your good deeds publicly, to be admired by others, for you will lose the reward from your Father in heaven. 2 When you give to someone in need, don’t do as the hypocrites do—blowing trumpets in the synagogues and streets to call attention to their acts of charity! I tell you the truth, they have received all the reward they will ever get.


Perhaps by the end of this reading you will say that I have touched on this topic in recent days, but let's go more into it today...

So, you give up your time, love, energy, and money. You listen with compassionate ears when a friend calls for a helping hand. You give money to a missionary who comes and speaks at your church. You visit your friend's mom in the hospital because she is extremely sick.

Why do you each and every one of these things? Is it to boost your self-confidence? Is it to be favored and praised by people? Is it to make God love you more? Or is it just natural...and how you function in a relationship with the almighty God?

Hopefully it is the latter. That is what God wants anyway. I have to remember that specific point each day as I create these posts. Sure I love hearing compliments from people, but I still remind myself that I should write sincerely from my heart and from my heart only without anything else interfering. Whenever I fall in such a trap I remind myself this blog is my way (or God's way of using me) to teach others and to reinforce Christianity by providing textual support from the bible followed by a message that I sense from the day's verses.

Anyway, I also don't want you to worry about the whole public attention deal. God can help you find a way to help someone that is just known exclusively between you and him. Your good work doesn't have to earn the Nobel prize for Christ from others. Essentially God will give the reward in the end. Pray about this.

Think about the last few times you did "good deeds." Why do you think that you really did them? What do you think Jesus would say to you today?

"Do everything with so much love in your heart that you would never want to do it any other way." ~Yogi Desai

No comments: