Wednesday, September 22, 2010

A New Season and New Beginning.

John 21:15-17
15 When they had finished eating, Jesus said to Simon Peter, "Simon son of John, do you truly love me more than these?"
"Yes, Lord," he said, "you know that I love you."
Jesus said, "Feed my lambs."
16 Again Jesus said, "Simon son of John, do you truly love me?"
He answered, "Yes, Lord, you know that I love you."
Jesus said, "Take care of my sheep."
17 The third time he said to him, "Simon son of John, do you love me?"
Peter was hurt because Jesus asked him the third time, "Do you love me?" He said, "Lord, you know all things; you know that I love you."
Jesus said, "Feed my sheep.


Tomorrow just so happens to mark the first day of fall! That means a nice change in the weather is just around the corner from the dog days of summer. I don't know about you, but I'm ready. Sometimes we need a new beginning. The good news is Christ is all about wiping our slate clean.

You've probably heard the story about Peter many times. He messed up! When Jesus was arrested and then taken to be crucified, Peter denied that he knew Jesus three times.

What's beautiful is that today's passage from the gospel of John lets us recognize that Jesus allowed Peter to start over, giving him another chance to make a new beginning. Jesus is understandable because he's God in flesh. He knows that we're not perfect.

The requirements for us are to acknowledge that we've done wrong, ask for God's forgiveness and mercy, and be willing to change some of our ways. In turn, Jesus is openly forgiving to us and expects us to reflect this basic yet kind act toward others we encounter. When someone needs forgiveness from us, accept it, just as Jesus did for Peter.

Maybe, you're holding a grudge toward someone. Pray. Pray Pray. God, let our hearts be filled with compassion and forgiveness. Not only is this reminiscent of what Jesus would do, but it's a stress reliever...you'll feel so much better about the particular situation when you give it God.

Finally, as autumn begins, be listening to God. I reminded you several times these last few weeks, but don't be afraid to perk up and listen to him. His work is all around you in sermons, songs, and friends.

Go forth and be ready to tune into God. Think of today as the beginning of a new season of shows on television now. Happy fall!

No comments: