Saturday, January 10, 2009

My Lesson Regarding Honor and Humility.

2 Corinthians 8:8-9
8 I am not commanding you to do this. But I am testing how genuine your love is by comparing it with the eagerness of the other churches.

9 You know the generous grace of our Lord Jesus Christ. Though he was rich, yet for your sakes he became poor, so that by his poverty he could make you rich.

I know these are aren't perfect verses for what I am going to talk about, but it does relate to the humility vs. honor idea that I mentioned on Tuesday. I suggest that you read that devotion (if you haven't already) before reading this one. Here, I will provide you with a real life example that just occured this week and it connects to what was discussed on Tuesday.

I was accepted into the National Honor Society at my school. The induction ceremony was on Thursday. I felt privledged and honored to be considered, in fact accpeted, into such a creditble club. After having the certificate in my hand, something was brought to my attention. That is, whether or not I felt honored or humbled when I received the reward.

It certainly made me think. I'm pretty sure I fell for the trap too...feeling more honored and focused on myself (it did feel kinda good to be recognized in a public manner (though). I think it was a lesson from God. It's hard to believe I wrote such words just days before underlining the difference between the two and emphasizing humble characteristics. I believe God had this in mind the whole time. Why else would I talk about humility during this particular week?

"The sufficiency of my merit is to know that my merit is not sufficient." —St. Augustine

No comments: