Saturday, August 1, 2009

Give God Your Junk.

2 Corinthians 5:21
21 God made him who had no sin to be sin for us, so that in him we might become the righteousness of God.


We went to a church in Mobile last week, called Mobile Christian Center. There were about 70 teenagers there, the 55 that were with the mission organization plus the 15 or so from their youth group. It was very inspiring to see the youth playing in the band and then the youth pastor, who I didn’t know at the time, singing.
Then the youth pastor had a fabulous message. He talked about how he was depressed in his childhood. He didn’t have it easy. I can’t even tell you the story in the way he told us. He said he had it rough in school. He mentioned that he was a Bible geek when he was very young and then his dreams were busted because his dad pulled him from the church because of some problems. One day he was on the edge and was about ready to take his life. I forget exactly what happened but he heard a call from God. From there it was all uphill!

He mentioned it took years to get past his sin and problems. Later, he had us write down on a piece of paper everything that was holding us back from getting closer to God. Then, we could burn it in a fire when we were ready to give all our problems to God. He used such a beautiful analogy. He said our paper is filled with sin, while Jesus’ is sin-free. When we give our junk to God, we exchange our paper with Jesus’ paper. That's way better than ours. That sets us free from sin and its all thanks to God’s grace and forgiveness.

Again, I know Youth Pastor Josh had so much to say. I’ll just say that I learned so much from him and I’m sure I’ll remember a lot of it as I progress through life. There was also a skit which I'll do my best to discuss next week.

Visit the church's website: http://www.mobilechristiancenter.com/

No comments: