Monday, December 7, 2009

A Peaceful Kingdom of God.

Isaiah 11:6-9
6 The wolf will live with the lamb,
the leopard will lie down with the goat,
the calf and the lion and the yearling together;
and a little child will lead them.
7 The cow will feed with the bear,
their young will lie down together,
and the lion will eat straw like the ox.
8 The infant will play near the hole of the cobra,
and the young child put his hand into the viper's nest.
9 They will neither harm nor destroy
on all my holy mountain,
for the earth will be full of the knowledge of the LORD
as the waters cover the sea.

It's week two of advent and we're talking about peace!

Do you find anything unusual about this passage? Notice how the animals that we commonly think of as predators are lying down with a harmless animal like the lamb or little child. However, that's the way it should be, right? Everything should coexist in nature.


Do you have a fear of any animal? I know I'm not too fond of bugs especially when I see them in my room. They seem pretty pointless to me because all they like to do is hide as soon as you go after them. Then you never know when they'll pop up and scare you next. I also feel like bugs are very dirty. They're not in my ideal environment.

It seems like this passage is trying to tell the reader that our expectations and experiences on earth will not be met in heaven. Things will be far different, which is a good thing. Perhaps insects will be cleaner animals and they won't have that negative vibe about them!

Maybe this is a wake-up call for me. It's a reminder that we can call out to God when we are in afraid or if we're in trouble. Thank God for helping to make things so comfortable for us. We can only imagine how peaceful things will be in heaven.

No comments: