Thursday, December 2, 2010

Death on the Cross - One Time.

Romans 6:8-9
8 Now if we died with Christ, we believe that we will also live with him. 9 For we know that since Christ was raised from the dead, he cannot die again; death no longer has mastery over him.


As soon as I read this part of Romans I was reminded of what I heard someone say the other day in passing: "Every time you (knowingly) sin, you put Jesus on the cross all over again." I thought about it and wish I could have had a conversation with this person. It's a wonderful way to make someone feel guilty, that's for sure. It's as of our sin makes Jesus suffer even more on the cross...

Well, here's what I have to say about the statement: I absolutely disagree. It may be a good guilt trip, but it's also deceiving - a lie. Jesus Christ DIED. That happened once, in the past. Yes, he did experience excruciating pain during this time. However, instead of guilt washing over us, we should be overwhelmed by appreciation considering the amount of pain he faced for our selfishness and sinful decisions.

The fact of the matter is that the cross is empty just like the tomb. The suffering is long gone. Jesus doesn't feel the intense pain even though I still think he winces at some of our decisions; still, it's nothing like before. Paul tells us here that "He cannot die again." Jesus was victorious over death. Period. He's alive in spirit and is able to carry on with God's work. As Christians, our sin is also dead, and we are given the freedom to continually serve God.

I know it may be hard to believe that he died for us so long ago, but thank God. Thank God for Jesus' death on the cross and that his pain is over so that our sinful lives can be painless.

No comments: